Welcome to our ninth month in 5th Grade: May! Well, we made it through our 2nd Trimester, and hopefully ready for all the wonderful things we will continue to learn together about your child’s 5th grade year in 2018. So now, you may take a few quick breaths, and prepare for a busy month ahead, as well as a few important items below, you may wish to add to your May calendar.
5TH GRADE May NEWSETTE
Hello Parents, and welcome to the ninth edition of the 5th grade Newsette. This is a monthly newsletter to help keep you informed of all the wonderful news happening in 5th Grade land, throughout the year.
Each newsletter consists of monthly calendar items, housekeeping items, important news to share and noteworthy subject information of those things we are covering in each subject, as well as discussing certain projects and their due dates.
So, let’s get on with the news!!
- May 1-4 Environmental Camp-Camp Hamilton
- May 25–No School/Teacher In-Service
- May 28–No School/Memorial Day
- June 5–Micky and Albert’s Birthday
- June 7–Graduation
- June 15–Last Day of school; Dismissal at 10:30
- June 17–Claire and Eric’s Birthday
- June 21–Kyla’s Birthday
- June 24–Boden’s Birthday
- August 3–Kyuwan’s Birthday
- August 21-Mason’s Birthday
Household Items to Note:
For further dates and information on class activities, assignments, and projects, please check the calendar link on my home page. **Power School will be updated at the end of each week in all subject areas, so please make sure that you and your child log in to keep yourself current with their progress!
For Information regarding Room Parent Volunteer Commitments or Opportunities, please contact, our Room Parent. Call the school office for contact information.
HOUSEKEEPING ITEMS TO NOTE:
****If your child misses a day of school, he/she has 2 days for every day they missed to complete the absent work. For example: if Bob is absent on Monday and returns Wednesday, his missed work is due the following Monday in class. Also, as our school policy states, if a need arises to contact your child during the school day, whether it be to pick them up for an appointment, leave a message, bring a lunch or another item from home, please leave these items at the school office and the office will notify me. I will make sure that these important items are brought to my room the same day to deliver to your child. All absent work can also be picked up that same day, by 3:00—–and will be brought either to the school office for you to pick up, or sent home with a sibling or another student. Just let me know what works best for your schedule.
- Please make sure your child is using their student planner during the week to copy from the class white board their daily assignments. This organizational tool is key to their future success in their middle school classes.
- Progress Reports are always on line to view each week with your child. Please use these grading periods as a time to discuss with your child areas of strengths and improvements to use as a gauge for the rest of the trimester.
- Please make sure your child has all their supplies updated on a regular basis, including, markers, notebook paper, folders, glue sticks, pens(blue or black and red), pencils, colored pencils, calculators, etc. **All of their teachers will thank them, and you!!
*****Be sure to check my “5th Grade Daily Homework” link on my website homepage for project dates and other activities each month!
- All students in 5th grade will be writing in Cursive with a pencil for all work turned in and done in class. **If your child wishes to use pen, they may do so, as long as their writing is legible.
- Thank you to those parents who volunteer to help as room parents during the year at various activities. I’m sure with all of your wonderful support, the children will experience some fun and exciting opportunities throughout the year.
- Each day, your child needs to make sure he/she has a reading book to read in class, whether it is from home or the library. This book may also count for AR points during the month.
- Make sure to cover all hardback books with wither a paper bag, or soft cover. Students will each receive a number that is assigned to them that will correspond to all book numbers.
- Make sure to also supply your child with a backpack or bag for them to carry their books and other homework items to bring home each night.
- PE days are Mon. and Wed. Please make sure that your child is wearing appropriate shoes. Girls may wear shorts underneath their uniform dress.
Important Items that are Noteworthy:
- Thank you for the great support in helping organize your child each week with their Binder and checking their weekly corrected work handed out each
Down the road, we will all see the benefits of all the time spent in this organizational piece to 5th grade. Kudos to you all!!
- For all important matters that may come up during the year with your concerns with school or family, please either phone me at school and leave a message or write me a note. I ask that e-mails be of lighter issues concerning matters that do not need immediate responses, or just to let me know facts like when your child will not be at school or other issues along those same lines. I appreciate your support in this communication.
The following will give you a brief update of what is happening for each subject that I teach during the month of May. For additional information, please check the St. Madeleine’s Website for another teacher’s subject area.
****Students will be logging on to the Star Assessment program for a review of Math and Reading skills for the year. Here are the remaining weeks/dates for the year for our Star Assessments in both Math and Reading:
We began our regular lessons in our new Religion Text: Blest Are We, which discusses the Sacraments, and how each of these are gifts from God to live as faithful Christian Catholics. We will also focus on learning the vocabulary and theme presented in each chapter.
- 5th Grade Family Life Program: During this third trimester, the fifth grade students will begin studying the family component of our religion curriculum, called “Family Life”. The subject themes will include: God’s gifts of family, self, love, life and community, which fit in nicely with our SLS’s of: Serve, Lead, Love, and Learn. This program covers Catholic Doctrine allowing children to become more aware of their environment on a personal level, learning how to express feelings in a positive way, nurturing good health, as they learn more about their physical, emotional and spiritual self. We will begin the week of May 7-11, and continue until we finish the Units towards the end of May. *The students will have a Handbook of activities to use after we read and discuss each chapter in their Family Life book. The first few weeks are all about family, self, life, love and community, and will take part as a whole group. The last week of May, Mr. Sherman will work with the boys on human reproduction, and I will work with the girls.
*May 18-Memorare Quiz
We began our year with our “A Week of Inspirational Math, as we did last year. This was an on-line course from Stanford University Mathematics Department, and the director’s name is Jo Boaler.
**5th Grade Math–We will continue our work in Chapter 5 Order of Operations, and review all basic skills.
**New Math Group–We will continue our work on order of operations, and basic algebraic expressions.
READING/WORDLY WISE: We have read a few stories from our Reading Book in Unit 1, and worked on various reading skills that include comprehension, vocabulary, main idea and higher level thinking skills.
Wordly Wise: We began our work in Wordly Wise each week, and learning a new set of words to understand and develop our vocabulary. Beginning in January, we will begin to use the book instead of on-line work, to help monitor our progress in class.
Reading Novels: We will continue with our third class novel, “A Wrinkle in Time, and hopefully, view the movie as well, to compare the book and the movie.
The students should also be reading daily (15-20 minutes each day at home), including silent reading done in class) towards their required AR Points each Trimester. **This Trimester the required AR points are: 25 Points!
*****May 9—3rd Trimester Fairy Tale Book Talk Project due!
SOCIAL STUDIES: We will continue to work in Unit 4-5 of our book, on knowing more about Map and Geography skills, as well as, learning about the early explorers coming to America, and setting up the 13 colonies.
SCIENCE: We are studying and applying the Scientific Method with some simple individual and group experiments done in class. We are also learning about the Earth and Space Systems, the importance of recycling, and how to best take care of our environment in Lessons 5, 6 & 7 in our new Science program.
***3rd Trimester Science or Social Studies Project due–May 16
WRITING/GRAMMAR: We will continue to work on our creative writing skills, as well as the 6 Traits of Writing, and other writing activities around sentence and paragraph structure, and using basic grammar correctly in our writing. We will also continue to work on our Grammar, as well as, our Handwriting cursive skills each week.
SPELLING: 5th grade began our year from the Rebecca Sitton Spelling Program book, where we access each week on a new spelling list of words, and learn about a new word skill as well. Students are not only graded on these weekly assessments, but also on how well they use these words in their daily written work. (Proofreading is highly encouraged!) *We will then transition into spelling words from our Worldly Wise weekly lesson.
Well, I think May’s Newsette has run out of news…..until June. I just want all of you to know how fortunate and blessed I am to have the opportunity to help guide your child, with you as partners, through this new year.
Here’s to a positive and most productive year together again in 2018. I wish to thank you for all that you do for your child’s educational journey. Since you are their primary teachers, I’m honored to be on the same team!
Blessings to all of you, and may 2018 continue to be filled with much health, happiness, and peace.
Di Shepp 🙂
****GO WSU COUGS!!!!!!!
Until next month, May God be with you,
Thanks for taking your precious time to read!